Many to one mailmerge | Manager mail mergeWritten on November 9th, 2017 by Aiden Vaines
Sometime it’s nessessary to email an individual about multiple people. Sometimes, its nessessary to email loads of people about loads of people.
I needed a way to email managers about staff in their team who were recieving new equipment. As this was multiple people in multiple teams with multiple managers it was a bit out of the scope of what mailmerge is designed to handle.
The script takes a “source.csv” layed out like this:
|1001||Joe Bloggs||iPhone 6||2001||A||[email protected]|
|1002||Steve Jones||iPhone 5||2001||A||[email protected]|
|1003||Dan Smith||iPhone 6||2002||B||[email protected]|
For each unique manager in this list (“A” and “B”) a new email will be created based on an html template “_template.htm”. addressed to the manager and containing a formatted table with their staff.
Using the table above, manager “A” will recieve and email about employees 1001 & 1002, and manager “B” about employee 1003.
- Edit the “_template.html” file in MS Word (to retain the formatting)
- Edit/replace the “sourcedata.csv” file, retaining the headers
- Run the script
- All messages will sit in outlooks “Draft” folder untill ready to send
1) Automatic sending The initial usecase for this script need it to be sent by outlook at a given time
2) More options!
3) Inline processing This wasn’t required initially but it might be useful to be able to accept the sourcedata table/object via a pipe or argument